Laith Farjo, M.D. - Arthroscopic surgery, Sports Medicine, Stem Cell Therapy
Laith Farjo, M.D.
He also has had extensive training and experience with sports medicine and treatment of the injured athlete of any age. As part of his fellowship, he was an assistant team physician with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Since then, he has focused his care on amateur, high school, and collegiate athletes throughout Michigan. Dr. Farjo believes that the challenge for any sports medicine physician is to return his/her patients back to their highest level of performance safely and quickly. He applies the advanced techniques used in sports medicine to all of his patients to help them return to their lifestyle (whether it is work, recreation, or simply being able to live pain-free) as rapidly as possible.
Dr. Farjo has gained a reputation as a skilled specialist in shoulder reconstructions. He treats all disorders of the shoulder, including: rotator cuff problems, impingement, tendonitis, dislocations, avascular necrosis, arthritis, and fractures. He has extensive experience with even the most obscure or complex arthroscopic surgical procedures in the shoulder and is constantly at the forefront in the development/implementation/use of new techniques and equipment. Dr. Farjo takes care of many injured workers in Southeast Michigan, and has treated patients from throughout Michigan and other states who have sought him out for his expertise in arthroscopic shoulder reconstructions.
Dr. Farjo is one of the most experienced surgeons in Michigan in the exciting new field of hip arthroscopy, having performed this surgery routinely for more than 15 years. He wrote one of the seminal research articles of labral tears in the hip, which is frequently quoted in the orthopedic literature. His skills in repairing hip labral tears, treating femoroacetabular impingement (FAI), minimally invasive surgery for trochanteric bursitis, as well as novel techniques for gluteus medius repair have been sought out by patients from all over the world.
Although Dr. Farjo specializes in surgery, he initially attempts to manage most disorders non-surgically, when appropriate. Techniques he utilizes include bracing, physical therapy, injections, laser therapy, and PRP. His motto is: "Let's start with the least invasive treatments first, and save surgery only as a last resort."
Subscribe to Dr. Farjo's YouTube channel to watch videos of some of his procedures and to be notified when new videos are posted.
Clinical Experience – Dr. Laith Farjo (as of October 2016)
- In practice since 1999
- Has performed over 9000 shoulder arthroscopic procedures
- Currently performs more than 250 hip arthroscopy surgeries yearly
- Has performed thousands of other procedures such as knee & elbow arthroscopy, ACL reconstruction, hand and fracture surgery, shoulder replacements.
Other Experience – Dr. Laith Farjo (as of October 2016)
- Is developing a patent-pending invention to aid in documenting surgical procedures.
- Consults for a medical malpractice insurance company and provides expert testimony.
- Is currently the CEO of a surgical center.
- Is the Chief Medical Officer for a stem cell storage company, Forever Labs.
- Co-founded, with Dr. Loniewski, an online medical brace company.
- Consults with an orthopedic company to develop new devices and train surgeons.
- Has appeared on television shows discussing orthopedics.
- Providence Hospital, Southfield and Novi, MI
- The Bone and Joint Surgery Center of Novi, Novi, MI
- Woodland Health Center, Brighton, MI
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ypsilanti, MI
- St. Joseph Mercy Livingston Hospital, Howell, MI
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2001, recertified 2011
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Licensed to practice medicine, State of Michigan (also formerly in California, Virginia)
- Fellowship in Advanced Arthroscopic Surgery and Sports Medicine, Orthopedic Research of Virginia
- Orthopedic Surgical Residency, University of California, San Francisco
- General Surgery Internship, University of California, San Francisco
- M.D., University of Michigan Medical School
- B.S., Biomedical Sciences, University of Michigan
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors, 2015 and 2016
- Hour Detroit Magazine, Top Docs: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Patient's Choice Award: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. Five year honoree 2015
- Top 10 Doctor Award, 2012-2014
- Detroit Area Super Doctors, 2011
- Top Detroit Physicians, 2011
- Best Clinical Research Paper, Inman-Abbott Lectureship, University of California, San Francisco, 1998
- Graduation with Distinction in Research, University of Michigan Medical School, 1993
- Alpha Omega Alpha (medical honor society), 1992
- University of Michigan Student Recognition Award, 1991
- Magna Cum Laude, University of Michigan, 1990
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1990
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Michigan Orthopedic Society
- Michigan State Medical Society
- “Hip Arthroscopy – The Next Big Thing in Orthopedic Surgery.” Farjo LA. St. John Providence Health System Orthopedic Lecture Series, Novi, MI, April 2015.
- “Shoulder Reconstruction – The Recent Revolution in Orthopedics.” Farjo LA. St. John Providence Health System Orthopedic Lecture Series, Novi, MI, April 2015.
- “Management of Common Orthopedic Problems for the Primary Care Provider.” Farjo LA. Livingston Physician Organization, Howell, MI, May 2014.
- “Advancements in Anterior Shoulder Instability Repair.” Farjo LA. Arthrex Travelling Road Show, Troy, MI, July 2013. (lecture series for Orthopedic Surgeons)
- “Pearls in Subscapularis Repair.” Farjo LA. Arthrex Travelling Road Show, Troy, MI, July 2013.
- “Posterior Shoulder Instability.” Farjo LA. Arthrex Travelling Road Show, Troy, MI, July 2013.
- “Office Orthopaedics for the Pediatrician.” Farjo LA. Department of Pediatrics, St. Joseph Mercy Livingston Hospital, Howell, MI, April 2004.
- "Hip Arthroscopy for Acetabular Labral Tears." Farjo LA. Michigan Orthopedic Society Annual Meeting, Mackinac Island, MI, June 2000
- "Intra-articular Bupivicaine Pump for ACL Reconstruction Postoperative Analgesia." Farjo LA, Beach WA, Gonzales JB, Meyers JF, Caspari RB. Arthroscopy Association of North America Annual Meeting, Miami FL, April 2000
- "Arthroscopic Shoulder Stabilization: Arthroscopic Bankart Repair and Thermal Capsulorraphy". Farjo LA. St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Dept. of Physical Therapy, Ann Arbor, MI, March 2000. McPherson Dept. of Physical Therapy, Howell, MI, January 2002.
- "Shoulder Pain in Women". Farjo LA. Womensfest, Hartland, MI, February 2000.
- "Techniques and Instruments for Advanced Arthroscopic Surgery." Farjo LA. McPherson Hospital Department of Surgery, Howell, MI, November 1999.
- "Hip Arthroscopy for Degenerative Joint Disease." Farjo LA, Glick JM, Sampson TG. Arthroscopy Association of North America Annual meeting, May 1999
- "Hip Arthroscopy for Acetabular Labral Tears." Farjo LA, Glick JM, Sampson TG. Arthroscopy, Vol 15(2), March 1999:132-137.
- "Football Injuries." Farjo LA and Fang A. University of California, San Francisco Grand Rounds, January 1998
- "Hip Arthroscopy by the Lateral Approach." Sampson TG and Farjo LA. In: Operative Hip Arthroscopy, Byrd JWT, ed., Thieme: New York, 1997
- "Ballistics and Mechanisms of Tissue Wounding." Farjo LA and Miclau T. Injury 1997, Vol. 28, Suppl 3, S-C12 - S-C17
- "The Antibiotic Treatment of Gunshot Wounds." Miclau T and Farjo LA. Injury 1997, Vol. 28, Suppl 3, S-C1 - S-C5.
- "Restoration of Pedicle Screw Fixation with In-Situ Setting Calcium Phosphate Cement." Moore DC, Maitra RS, Farjo LA, Graziano GP, Goldstein SA. Spine, Vol 22(15), August 1997:1696-1705. Also in Orthopedic Transactions, 18:1, 1994, p. 112.
- "Liver Volume Determination from CT Images using Histogram Cluster Analysis." Farjo LA, Williams DM, Bland P, Francis IR, and Meyer CR. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography (1992 Oct) 16(5):674-683.
- "Liver-Tumor Boundary Detection: Human Observer vs. Computer Edge Detection." Williams DM, Bland P, Liu L, Farjo L, Francis IR, and Meyer CR. Invest Radiol (1989 Oct) 24(10):768-775.
- Micro Charts - Microbiology Course and USMLE Study Guide, 3rd ed., 2nd ed. Weiner DJ and Farjo LA. 1992